This document outlines how the activity might be linked to the NGSS as part of a classroom lesson.
Science Discipline(s): Chemistry Topics:
- One set of red plastic solo cups (50 in a package)
- 1 pairs of scissors. (The small hole at the bottom of the red solo cup shall already be made prior to the activity, for safety purposes)
- 2 sets of thin string
- Poke a hole in the bottom of the red plastic cup large enough to stick the piece of string through.
- Cut about 8-12 inches of the string and wet the string
- Tie a knot at the end of the string outside the cup tight enough to hold the string in place.
- Holding the cup in one hand, squeeze the string between your thumb and forefinger at the base of the cup
- The string will begin to stick and slide between your fingers causing a screaming sound to occur.
- Where is the noise coming from?
- Can we use soapy water?
- What would happen if the cup was removed, would we still be able to create sounds with just the wet string?