This document outlines how the activity might be linked to the NGSS as part of a classroom lesson.
Science Discipline(s) Chemistry Topics States of matter Activity Title Instant Snow Materials
- Premade instant snow powder
- 2 graduated cylinders with water
- Sealable plastic bags
- Disposable stirring rods
- Small plastic cups
- 2 large glass beakers or clear plastic cups
- Trial and error-Lay out plastic cups and add a little of the powder to see how much you should use for the actual experiment
- Fill up graduated cylinder with water
- Fill up beakers with water
- Place pipettes next to beakers
- Have the children to pour the water into the cup with the powder quickly
- The snow will erupt out of cup(if it doesn’t instantly give it a couple of seconds to erupt out of the cups.
- Kids can take home some instant snow in the sealable plastic bags