Before the Science Carnival
A spatula will be used to added each fluorescent molecule to a chemical solution it is soluble in. Add enough of the chemical so that the solution is concentrated enough, and will glow when exposed to UV light.
- Ethyl Acetate:
- 9,10-diphenyl anthracene
- Rhodamine B
- Add shavings to flask with distilled water.
- Add drop of NaOH to flask and allow it to sit for 1 hour.
- Shavings can be removed or left in the flask. Solution can then be capped and left to sit until demo day.
- Solution can be stored in sunlight for weeks or in darkness for months.
Day of the Science Carnival
- Using a funnel, fill the five volumetric flask with the chemical solutions.
- Cap each of the volumetric flasks
- Label the volumetric flask and funnel with the chemical they were used for.
- Place the flask on the UV table, to allow solutions to glow.
- Fill the first container with cold water
- Fill the second container with room temperature water
- Fill the third container with hot water
- Place a glow stick into each of the containers
- Does not need prep just ensure it’s in a container the kids can see into.
- Doesn’t need prep, just mix a little to stir things up a bit.
Make sure that you have a waste bottle to dispose of solutions that is labeled with the chemicals to be used in this experiment.