Avoid ingestion and skin contact of methanol and salt solutions. If ingested, seek medical help immediately. If skin contact occurs, wash contaminated area with water for at least 15 minutes. Keep away from the flame of the Bunsen burner. Methanol is extremely flammable and burns with nearly colorless flame that is difficult to see. The presenter should make sure that the students are a safe distance from the Bunsen burner and that the students only spray the flame with the salt solutions. Make sure students are wearing eye protection. Have students wash their hands after the activity. This activity should only be conducted with a teacher/ supervisor who has a background in science.

Reference Material