- Use nitrile gloves and wear goggles when preparing the salt solutions!
- Take 25 g of lithium chloride salt, add it to a ½ L spray bottle and add 200 mL of water. Shake well to dissolve the salt.
- Then, fill the spray bottle with methanol, put the spray lid on the bottle and shake to mix the lithium chloride salt solution.
- Repeat step 2 for all five salts. For the copper sulfate solution, add 25 g of Borax for green color.
- Before you conduct the activity, make sure the audience is 5-10 feet away.
- Behind a blast shield and wearing a flame-proof labcoat, nitrile gloves, goggles, and a face protector, ignite the Bunsen burner or propane torch and carefully spray each respective salt into the flames to demonstrate the colors given off by the metal ions.