Before the start of the activity the clay can be divided into smaller cubes so that it can be easily portioned out to students.
- Obtain a piece of red clay and roll it into a ball the size of a milk dud or peanut M&M.
- Then shape that small ball into a sort of strawberry – this is the heart.
- Roll out some more clay into a thin rope, this is an artery, more specifically the aorta, and attach it to the right side of the heart.
- Curve the aorta around the heart to form a loop.
- Expand the aorta throughout the arms and legs.
- Obtain some blue clay and roll it out into another thin rope, these will be the veins that carry the deoxygenated blood back to the heart.
- Attach the veins to the left side of the heart.
- Expand the veins throughout the arms and legs.