Skip to content
- Arrange the candles such that they are of varying height, and free standing within the vessel.
- Pour some sodium bicarbonate into the vessel.
- A thin layer should cover the entire bottom of the chamber
- A larger layer should be applied in the case of tall, thin vessels, like vases, or beakers.
- A larger layer should also be used for a faster demonstration
- Ensure there is no wind or air currents that will interfere with the experiment
- Light the candles
- Pour in enough vinegar to wet all the sodium bicarbonate.
- If the candles do not all extinguish, add more baking soda and vinegar slowly to continue the reaction until all the candles have been extinguished.